Matthew Bryant handles all areas of business formation, business disputes and commercial transactions. Mr. Bryant’s primary focus is on commercial litigation, eminent domain and corporate transactions. As part of his representation, he advises directors and shareholders on their rights and duties, and has successfully handled contentious shareholder disputes and corporate dissolutions. He also handles the firm’s land use, debtor / creditor, employment and appellate matters.
Mr. Bryant has successfully argued numerous cases before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and North Carolina Supreme Court. He successfully argued a case of first impression on North Carolina lien law before the North Carolina Supreme Court, successfully defending a lien holder’s large judgment.
He is presently representing approximately 300 property owners in Forsyth, Guilford, Cleveland, Cumberland, Pender and Wake Counties challenging the constitutionality of the North Carolina Department of Transportation’s use of land use restrictions in anticipation of condemnation.
Prior to law school, Mr. Bryant served in the U.S. Navy as a Division Officer in the Persian Gulf and Japan, and as a systems analyst for the Department of the Navy’s ship construction command.
He has served on numerous local boards including the Bethesda Center for the Homeless, St. Paul’s Summer Enrichment program, Winston-Salem Theater Alliance, Triad Youth Lacrosse Association and as president of Winston-Salem Lacrosse.
- O & M Industries v. Smith Engineering Co. 360 N.C. 263, 624 S.E.2d 345 (2006)
- Beroth Oil Co. v. N.C. DOT, 367 N.C. 333, 757 S.E.2d 466 (N.C. 2014)
- Joyce Farms, LLC v. Van Vooren Holdings, Inc., 756 S.E.2d 355, (N.C. Ct. App. 2014)
- Beroth Oil Co. v. Whiteheart 173 N.C.App. 89, 618 S.E.2d 739 (2005)
- Nexsen Pruet, PLLC v. Martin, 212 N.C. App. 680, 713 S.E.2d 130, (2011)
- Business Communications, Inc. v. KI Networks, Inc. 157 N.C.App. 710, 580 S.E.2d 77 (2003)
- Hemric v. Groce 154 N.C.App. 393, 572 S.E.2d 254 (2002)
- Hemric v. Groce 169 N.C.App. 69, 609 S.E.2d 276 (2005)
- Cap Care Group, Inc. v. McDonald 149 N.C.App. 817, 561 S.E.2d 578 (2002)
- Bassett Seamless Guttering, Inc. v. GutterGuard, LLC 2007 WL 2079714, *1 (2007)
- B. Elliott Enterprise, Inc. v. Mitchell 2007 WL 1119344, *1 (2007)
- Wake Forest School of Law – 1995
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – 1985
- North Carolina Court
- U.S. Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Fourth Circuit